Sunday 21 November 2010

Split Loyalties

At the moment I am still reading my way through some short stories by Roald Dahl but my next project is waiting in the wings already and it might mean I have to divide and conquer.
In order to start up my new little project I did something quite extraordinary this weekend. I (re)joined the Library! Being a book buyer myself I always struggle with the concept of having to give books back once they have been in my possession so it will be interesting to see how I get on with returning books after three weeks. I had joined the library years ago but moved a few times, started buying books, found it a hassle to remember to renew library books and forgot about having a library card. Add to that, that the library where I lived at the time did not seem to have too many books published after 1980 (and no books about ghosts) and you can see why me and libraries did not get on. I thought that they would have removed me from their systems as I had not used my library privileges for years but it turned out I was still registered (one big Hurrah for bureaucracy). So.... my account was reactivated, I got a new library card and decided to put it to good use immediately by taking out some books. For years now now I have been meaning to find out more about the history of the place I live but until now I have never found the time. Most of where I live is "new" and "modern" but some of the estates have some history to them and there are even some Roman ruins in one of the parks. Milton Keynes was created when several small, separate villages were combined into one big town but not everything is boom town territory here. We do have some older estates and it is these I am interested in. I managed to find some books about the history Stony Stratford, Wolverton and Newport Pagnell and will be immersing myself in it over the next few weeks. I am not sure how this is going to affect my reading of my normal stock of books or much "other" reading I am going to be able to do but we'll see how it goes. Onwards to new discoveries!

Books borrowed from library: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment