Sunday 24 March 2013

And finally I give you, Agatha

Spoiler alert not really needed for this one either, unless you don't want to know anything about Agatha Christie.... If not,.... what is wrong with you!!

Agatha Christie, A Biography - Janet Morgan
What an interesting life this woman has had!
What a great story this makes and what great books she left behind when she passed away. I am not even sure how to begin or what is important enough to highlight. I am not sure I can choose as it is really all good and interesting.
The book tells you about her unconventional childhood where s did not really have a formal education and go carte off to France as it was the only way to get her to learn the language properly. How she developed into this child that had great and varied interests but who hated to perform for the sake of it and only said what needed to be said. There is her ill fated first marriage, her infamous disappearance and her happy second marriage.
Agatha travelled a lot and spent a lot of her time with her second husband on his excavation sites for his archeological work. She tried to be of use to him and write he stories at the same time. It seems that she loved to collect trinkets and was kind to a fault to those closest to her. She could also be pedantic and difficult but who isn't. One thing that definitely comes across about her in this book is that she was a great observer of people, behaviour and that she was always thinking on murder plots, making notes where ever she could. She learnt the skill of plotting a story and what clues to leave where. The book also covers most of her work both books, stories, theatre and movie ventures. you get to know a it about where her inspiration comes from and how she worked.
An interesting point is made about her characters being stereotypes. They tend to act as you would expect them to. I guess this is true. When you meet a Christie character you tend to know what they will and will not do straight away. They tend to behave in a way that is expected of their type but that does not detract from them or their involvement in the story. What I am trying to say here is: sure Christie has created set characters in her books, they are people that are defined by their type to act in a certain way but.... and this is the BUT, she uses that against you as  reader as well when she makes them behave out of character by turning out to be the killer. And that my friends is why I love her.
What I found interesting as well is how much she was plagued by money worries. Not in the least because of the complicated tax arrangements she had to contend with as an author but also because she seemed to have this continual fear of running out of money to live on. Surely someone who I know as one of the greatest crime writers ever would have had nothing to worry about on that front... but she had. The Taxman loves all money equally.
The book is a great read and although it does meander on a bit here and there is gives you a great insight into the woman behind the books. I am convinced it is only going to enhance my enjoyment of reading her work.


Title: Agatha Christie, A Biography
Author: Janet Morgan
378 pages
Harper Collins
ISBN nr 0-00-636961-8

Books to be read: 116

And this concludes my marathon review session for today. 
My right hip now aches as does my rh calf muscle and I can hardly see the keyboard of my laptop but at least it is done and I can start reading a new book with a clear conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment