Sunday 24 March 2013

Some more catching up

#### SPOILER ALERT ####

Cat and Mouse - James Patterson
I can be very brief about this one: I did not like it and I don't care.
None of the characters appeal to me. I don't care about Soneji. I don't care who evil he is. Show me don't just tell me. Alex Cross feels like a stereotypical American cop character. He seems at times "consumed" by his job, dedicated and not to forget very brave. His kids are all American. His house and garden are well kept and he is on the road back to love. His sidekick partner has probably been with him forever but I don't care as he is just the stereotypical sidekick. Apart from the stereotypical that Soneji is comitting Alex is also drawn into a second investigation where apparently random  people are murdered and parcelled up gruesomely. And guess what.... I don't care.
There is only slightly interesting twist in the entire tale and that is that one of the investigators trying to solve the Mr Smith murders turns out to be the actual Mr Smith murderer. However, even the Mr Smith murders are not that interesting. Gruesome yes, random... probably, until Alex finds the pattern (of course he does, he is the hero of the story after all).
The whole book feels as if Patterson does not care that much about the story or his characters either. He gives me nothing to really draw me in. As a reader I got only limited background on any characters. I get some hints of things that happened in the past and some vague references on previous cases but it is almost as if Patterson expects me to have read all of the other books and that  I know what makes these people tick. Well.... I have not read any of the others and this kind of lazy writing is not making look forward to reading another Patterson one either. Especially not if at the end there is such a clear set up for a next book. Nobody tells me what to read next and as throughout the book he has made zero effort to draw me into the characters or the story I am putting mr Patterson down to the bottom of my Books to be read list.

Title: Cat and Mouse
Author: James Patterson
502 pages
Headline Book Publishing
ISBN nr 0-7472-5788-4

Books to be read: 120

No comments:

Post a Comment