Wednesday 30 March 2011

Almost there.... honest Gov!

In the blue corner (the bad news corner) we have the news that my reading process is still thwarted by bouts of sleepiness over the weekend and such mundane things as doing household chores. The three scenarios are as follows:

  1. I go and sit down to a good reading session and then I fall asleep. This one is a really popular event on the weekends and usually occurs after about 15.00.

  2. As I sit down to read my brain whispers to me that I actually really do need to get on with that stack of dishes that is piling up in the sink as you never know when an unexpected guest is going to come round for a coffee and what will they think of my varied array of nicely stacked up mugs and plates.

  3. It seems that there is only so many times that you can move a drying rack covered with laundry out of your way before you get really tired of it and decide it is time to tidy away the laundry.
In the red corner (the good news corner), we have the news that the ghost story book I am reading is only about 100 pages from finishing. Some of the stories are proving to be a cracking read and I finally feel that I am making a real dent in this one. I have been having regular reading sessions every evening this week. I have managed to cut down on my Internet time and up my reading time. My brain feels a bit more relaxed for it and I am getting on with the book so win win really. It is actually really nice to sit down at the end of the day with a book and just let the story take over. I cannot read when I am thinking about other stuff so reading actually helps me to focus my mind and relax more. When I read I have moving pictures running in my head, just like a movie. I picture things the way the author describes them (with my own interpretation of course - ask any 5 people to draw a cat in a cave and you will end up with different drawings of 5 different cats and 5 different caves). Using my imagination to create the pictures fills my head up and this means that I have to drown out all the other stuff like: where are my keys?, do I need to buy new socks next week? and did I book my flights to Holland yet? (by the way: on the book case, no I do not and no I did not). You would think that picturing a story in your head would make your brain tired but it actually relaxes it. Just one of the things I like about reading - you get to use the grey cells not just by reading the words or by interpreting the story but you get a free home cinema experience as well. I am off to see if I can attack those last 100 pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment