Sunday 30 October 2011

Starting over

Well... another week of not reading a "normal" book has been completed! I decided to see how I got on with just reading my course stuff  for now and it has been okay. Not brilliant.. but okay. I did my study plan, divided the books I have to cover over the weeks I have and left some time for the assignment and revision. I do find that I have to get back into a studying frame of mind. It takes more attention and concentration to read something and try to retain information than it does to just read a story in a book. That has focus and is entertaining. Usually it will grab you with some kind of event or character and you use that to drive your reading on. With the reading for this course it is different. I am having  remember how I used to study, how do I approach a subject matter that is kind of dry and slightly alien to me? How do I train my brain to retain the information? Maybe I should read that study guide that come with the materials to see if there are any helpful hints in it? I feel that I am doing okay as I have already completed my set pages for next week but I find that I have to remember to put myself to work and to focus on what I am reading. I am getting there and I guess once I have done a bit more it will become more routine to study. I just have to find a study rhythm that works for me. I plan to do a bit every evening so I get the regularity in my daily routine and get used to hitting the books. I think that is the best way for me. Build it into my day, make it part of my routine and just keep chipping away at it. The first assignment is due 19 December! Should be all done by end of April next year.
Not sure I can go that long without reading anything other than study stuff... good thing I do not have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment