Sunday 23 October 2011

Unexpected problems

I am finding myself in a bit of a unexpected position at the moment. I do not know what I want to read next! In fact I do not even know if I want to read a book at all! I have 75 to choose from so it is not a lack of choice. I think what might be playing on my subconscious is that I am going to be starting a course for work soon (OU course in Project Management) and that this will involve a fair bit of reading any way. The first assignment is due 19 December and I am not sure how much spare reading time I will have left after I have to potentially plough through a couple of course books between now and then. Maybe I should read a "normal" book as well so I have something else to read besides course stuff. Then again, maybe doing the course out of working hours will claim enough of my time and I will not have the energy to read anything else.
I am actually really excited about doing this course! I always feel that it is good to learn new skills and to expand your horizons. I am a language person and Uni did not really equip me with a load of practical skills on how to manage projects. It taught me to think about what I read, appreciate books, fall in love with language, how it works and what the consequences are when it does not. I guess in a way I have had to learn to plan my studies and structure  my work to make sure I completed my essays and revision in time but that is all academic stuff. Not the same as in a proper working environment. I have worked in jobs that were sort of project based but this is my first stint as an independent project manager. I am hoping this course will make me feel a bit more secure in what I do and that I am doing it the right way. It looks like all the basics are covered so at the end of it I should have the tools to be able to do what I need to. So far my job as a PM has been a bit of a "thrown in at the deep end" kind of thing. There has been no real training and I have had to find things out either by looking at what the other PMs do or by doing things the way I think it should be done and hoping for the best. I am happy that the course seems to cover the basics and at least give me some tools to manage my workload. That is never a bad thing. I am okay baking cakes without a recipe but it would be nice to have an idea if what all the ingredients are supposed to be.

Maybe I could go be a teacher's pet and start looking at my course books already, get ahead of the game.. or.... maybe I will just have a quick look at a possible normal book to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment